Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#83078 - 22/03/2002 17:52 More options for "mark track"?
jloew
journeyman

Loc: SF Bay Area
I'm surprised this hasn't been asked before (at least I couldn't find a thread)...

Is there any way to expand the "mark track" functionality to be more specific? Two things I often want to accomplish:

1.) mark bad tracks - errors and blips as well as faulty tag data

2.) rate the track - something simple like 1-3 where 3 is "love it" and 1 is "who talked you into this one?" Seriously, I would expect it's generalized in some way so 1-3 can mean whatever people want it to.

So, this would be most useful if emplode could display the data (besides using advanced search), but I would settle for the data just being there. Mark Lord? Could HiJack do this?

-Joe

#83079 - 22/03/2002 20:49 Re: More options for "mark track"? [Re: jloew]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Someone just asked for this recently. And I remember seeing it in at least one other thread a longer while back.

Yes, it would be nice. Though I wouldn't use it to rate, it would still be nice to have at least two or three searchable mark flags.

Bruno

#83080 - 23/03/2002 05:42 Re: More options for "mark track"? [Re: hybrid8]
Alexander

I'd just like to see a dynamic "marked tracks" playlist. So I can listen to a wide variety of stuff, mark the best songs, and then have an instant "best of my empeg" collection.

Alex

#83081 - 23/03/2002 12:22 Re: More options for "mark track"? [Re: hybrid8]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
True, though the multiple markable search flags would be nice, I don't think a "rating" system would be an interesting option. This for the simple reason that people's tastes change. A song that gets rated as a "3" now, might only be a "1" next week, depending on many, many factors, one of the biggest being the mood you're in.

#83082 - 23/03/2002 18:29 Re: More options for "mark track"? [Re: Alexander]
jloew
journeyman

Like I said, guys - to be used any way you like!

A song that gets rated as a "3" now, might only be a "1" next week, depending on many, many factors, one of the biggest being the mood you're in.

It is for exactly this reason an easy-to-mark rating system would be useful to me - my tastes change regularly. I can make new playlists this way (and get rid of experiemental tracks).

#83083 - 25/03/2002 00:20 Re: More options for "mark track"? [Re: jloew]
dcosta
enthusiast

Loc: Massachussetts
Rate your own music if you like,
but I would like to mark my stuff in a different way...
1. re rip from CD
2. replace file with new download (incomplete or corrupt)
3. edit ID3 tag or file info

#83084 - 25/03/2002 19:05 Re: More options for "mark track"? [Re: dcosta]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Pretty much why I mark my tunes right now. I think keeping this basic would be the best bet. Just a few different values for the mark flag. If someone wants to use them for rating purposes, then that's up to them. The player doesn't need to know about the different mark types.

An easy indicator would be a slight modification to the current one as well... Currently you get "!!" to indicate d marked track. With multiple values it might be nice to see the following instead: "!1" "!2" "!3"

As an extension, if you REALLY wanted more feedback from the player, then it might be nice to assign a name to each mark type. Then you could easily identify your "rating" or other special purpose mark function. Being able to display a list of marked tracks in the plaer software is a natural extension to even the current marking scheme.

Bruno

#83085 - 28/03/2002 04:46 Re: More options for "mark track"? [Re: hybrid8]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Yep - I reckoned different marks for:

glitch or poor quality - re rip
tag errors - edit tags
spotted some swearing - edit wendy flags
this song sucks - delete it
this belongs elsewhere - move or copy it

This is mainly because I only check my marks a couple of times a month and sometimes I can't remember why I marked something.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#83086 - 28/03/2002 23:53 Re: More options for "mark track"? [Re: frog51]
CurlyKicker

Loc: Orange County, CA
Oh I totally agree! Before reading this thread I assumed that this feature was already included in v2.0. It's too bad that it isn't.

#83087 - 29/03/2002 09:20 Re: More options for "mark track"? [Re: jloew]
dstidham
new poster

Loc: Twin Cities
I usually make mixes for friends, so I have been trying to use it to mark tracks that I think a person would like so I can then have a list of tracks to use in a mix, or a playlist on my empeg. So it would be nice if you could customize the mark track to whatever classification you might want. Example pressing the mark button then lets you scroll through a list of classifications. Also if you could then find the marked tracks easier in Emplode. I believe currently you have to sort by the Marked column or advanced search using "marked". It would just be nice to have a section called Marked, then you could sort them by classifications.

#83088 - 12/04/2002 07:01 Re: More options for "mark track"? [Re: hybrid8]
snowwhite
stranger

I want this!!!!
I want this!!!!
I want this!!!!

Please........